Low Carb Spinach and Eggs Muffin

Spinach is my favorite green food.  I love sauteed spinach, spinach salads, spanikopita,  spinach dip…you name it, I probably like it if spinach is in it.  I can’t say I have always enjoyed it.  But several years ago I read a book about the healthiest foods… Guess which one was top of the list: SPINACH.  So I started eating it for pure health benefits and the taste grew on me to a point now that I prefer it as a side to just about anything. But my favorite way to enjoy spinach is freshly sauteed into scrambled eggs for a delicious low carbohydrate, high protein meal.  So I experimented with turning my favorite spinach meal into something my son would willing devour.  It worked because his cute little response was “Mmmm” after his first bite!

ow carb spinach egg muffin

What I used:

• 3 eggs
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 cup of freshly sauteed spinach
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozerella cheese
  • 1/4 cup shredded parmesean cheese
  • 1 Tbsp skim milk
  • optional add ins:  ham, turkey or chicken
  • salt & pepper to taste

What I did:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare your muffin tins
  2. Whisk eggs and milk together and seasoning
  3. Add in the cheese and spinach
  4. Pour mixture to the top of muffin cups
  5. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until egg is done in the center

low carb spinach muffin

Three reasons why I love this recipe…It’s perfect for my entire family!

My son loves anything that looks like a muffin.  I think his sight over rides his tastebuds when it comes to  muffin/ cupcake shaped food  sitting on his plate.  This makes me very happy because it gives me an easy way of sneaking in foods he would normally push away.

My husband eats a lot of eggs, typically boiled and for a mid-day snack.  So these are a more exciting way of consuming his protein snack.

I try to only eat carbohydrates before and after my workouts.   So this is a perfect high protein, low carb food for me to eat at times throughout my day when I do not need the energy from carbs.

low carb spinach muffins

Do you like spinach? Do you have a favorite recipe using fresh spinach?

Bookmark the permalink.

95 Responses to Low Carb Spinach and Eggs Muffin

1. Those sound awesome. I love things like that for breakfasts. It’s just want I need to kick start my day!

2. Jessica says:

These look simple and tasty! My daughter is the same way, she will eat anything that looks like it is in the form of a muffin. This would be a great way to get some spinach in her tummy.

3. This is good, to deceive those who don’t prefer eating vegetables by turning them into muffins. very nice recipe

4. Kecia says:

I love putting spinach in my smoothies. This looks like a great way to eat it too.

5. Love how easy this recipe is…and I’m a fan of spinach too! It’s sometimes hard to add it to family favorites though. I think we’ll defnitely try these for a weekend brunch!

6. becka says:

That actually looks really good. I bet my kids would eat it and think it was a muffin.

7. mer says:

yum! I love this type of recipe! healthy and easy to make!

8. That looks really good for breakfast. I made some type of Spinach Muffins before that also has Avocados and even my picky eater boy loves it. And didn’t know it has vegetables in it. He didn’t have to know. LOL! I feel like making some Muffins now.

9. Just Pinned this. I love the combination of egg, cheese, and spinach, and have never made something like this in the oven. I LOVE incorporating spinach with omelets, cheese and tomato. I also like adding it to scrambled eggs, and free egg whites.

10. looks simple enough I’ve been thinking about trying a variation of this

11. I make these often, but I’ve never used parmesan cheese before. I bet that would really up the tastiness factor! Will definitely have to try this in the future!

12. Melissa says:

Now that looks delicious! I am going to try and make that tomorrow, I have everything on hand.

13. Amanda says:

Yummy! I bet I could even get my kids to eat these. I love being able to hide veggies in foods they love.

14. Looking forward to making these for my son.

15. Looks so yummy! Might be for dinner tonight! :)

16. Debra says:

Kinda like a little personal quiche. I love it – and a healthy way to start off the day.

17. Jennifer B says:

This looks so good and healthy too! These would be great for a fast breakfast!

18. Rachael says:

These look delicious. I love that they are Primal friendly.

19. Tonya says:

I love spinach too and this looks like a great recipe! My BFF gave me a great recipe for Chicken Spinach Lasagna (ah-mazing!) to share on my blog. I hope to have it posted soon. :)

20. I think i must be a kid at heart because i will eat anything shaped like a muffin as well. This sounds so good. I wish i was able to eat eggs right now.

21. brett says:

perfect for busy school morning breakfasts!

22. Trisha says:

These look so good! I love spinach and think this would be a hit at our house! As someone who is trying to lose wight, I appreciate that its low carb.

23. Spinach is so good in eggs! This is such a great – make ahead idea!

24. Triplezmom says:

I did not like spinach until I discovered spinach dip. But these sound totally delicious.

25. Pam says:

These look good! I am a fan of spinach but the rest of my family isn’t. I bet they would like these though.

26. I make something similar and LOVE them! Such a great appetizer!

27. Chelsea says:

This sounds amazing! I am obsessed with spinach in everything so this is right up my alley.

28. I’ve been seeing variations of these all over and I am loving this idea! Such a great, healthy, quick grab & go meal for the mornings. My husband would love these and I could use these. I go without breakfast a lot because of time’s sake… No excuses if I had these! Must try them (I LOVE the addition of spinach)!

29. lisa jones says:

I Love Spinach I Bet These Are Delicious & Healthy For You Too!!

30. lisa jones says:

I Love Spinach I Bet These Are Delicious & Healthy For You Too!!

31. lisa jones says:

I Love Spinach I Bet These Are Delicious & Healthy For You Too!!

32. This really does look so delicious! I would love to try them out!

33. Amy says:

That looks delicious! I have always liked spinach and so does my picky-eater son (go figure) so I’ll have to make these for him!

34. Tess says:

I really am interested in this! I dont normally do alot of spinach but this looks yummy.

35. I used to make these years ago when I did the South Beach diet, they were so good and so easy to make too!

36. Michelle F. says:

That looks so good. Never had spinach with eggs before.

37. DawnC says:

That looks good and healthy! And I have all the ingredients already. :)

38. Debbie Denny says:

Great and easy recipe. Yummm

39. Jenni E. says:

When we have omelets, I love to put a bit of spinach in them! We’ll have to give your muffins a try! Anything muffin-y is a great breakfast for on the go too! I always feel so guilty when I shove a granola bar in the hands of my little guy. :/

40. These are so perfect for a busy morning. Love that they are low carb too!

41. Liz Mays says:

I have some appetizers that have spinach in them and are so crazy good!

42. Low carb and no fork needed, sounds like a greats snack. I love anything with spinach and eggs in it. I bet my kids would even want to eat this. Thanks for sharing.

43. Toni says:

I love spinach anything. I am going to try my hand at these, they look so good.

44. This is a good recipe. It seems healthy and easy to make. I have a new recipe to try.

45. Jessica says:

Those look good and I have spinach in the fridge.

46. This would be perfect to make ahead for my husband for work. He leaves at 7ish in the morning and doesn’t like to eat breakfast that early. I can make it ahead and he can warm it up later in the morning to eat.

47. lisa jones says:

Looks So Yummy Can’t Wait To Make!

48. I love slipping spinach in so many dishes. These muffins look delicious!

49. heather says:

these look delicious! I love spinach and eggs and having these on the go would be awesome!

50. Dina says:

I love this as I’m trying to eat better and low carb is a great way to go. I wonder if I could substitute some of my kale from my garden last year? Great recipe thanks!

51. Rosey says:

What a tasty way to switch up some flavors. These sound fantastic!

52. Krystal says:

This would be a great way for me to add more spinach to my diet. Thanks for sharing!

53. This actually looks and sounds pretty good. It’s healthy too, which is a total win!

54. Three words.. Oh My Goodness! This will be in my belly this weekend :) Easy and delicious recipe.

55. veronica says:

they sound so yummy and look so delicious. great to give some energy in the morning

56. Terry says:

What a great idea to make a healthy muffin. It really sounds good. Also, I really like your wood cutting board or whatever that is you have it sitting on.

57. Alissa says:

Spinach is my favorite, too. I’ve never thought to put it into muffin form, but that looks delicious.

58. Janel says:

What a healthy and easy way to start the morning! I need more recipes like this!!

59. What a great way to add spinach to one’s diet! :-)

60. This is a great breakfast idea! And easy clean up too; since no fork is needed. Kids can just eat it up without a lot of mess.

61. Lexie Lane says:

I would definitely eat breakfast everyday if I can have these in my kitchen. This looks really great and easy enough to make!

62. Eliz Frank says:

They look ultra healthy and delicious. I’m going to give it a try. Spinach is popular in my household

63. Ashley B. says:

I make something similar in a crust-less quiche form, but the only cheese I use in it is Feta cheese. Feta adds a nice salty kick. Your recipe sounds terrific as well! I love how you put them in muffin tins!

64. Love this recipe. I did one like that before but I added bacon lol not so low carb though but sooo tasty! Also like that you don’t need a fork to eat them!!

65. I would like to make these, freeze them and then take out each morning! Great idea!

66. Sarah Bailey says:

I would never have thought of a savoury muffin.. I’m really wondering how it tastes now.

67. Cyndi says:

That sounds delicious, healthy and easy to make! I’m going to have to try these!

68. Beth says:

This looks delicious! A friend made something similar once and I’d love to try it again.

69. This looks really good and I think the combination of flavors helps the taste too.

70. I make these all the time. They work great to keep in the freezer for those rushed days. I also add different ingredients to them to give us a variety.

71. Theresa says:

I have never eaten spinach in my eggs, but have been seeing a lot of recipes that do lately. These look really scrumptious, and I love that they are a finger food!

72. I don’t care for it but my husband loves spinach. He’d devour these!

73. Paige says:

These look great! I bet they’d be really healthy, especially if you used egg substitute.

74. Felicia says:

I am always looking for low carb options. This one looks delicious.

75. Dawn says:

Wow! I never would have thought about using those ingredients in a muffin. It sounds fabulous and way healthier than a lot of options.

76. Danielle says:

Mmm, so delicious! I wonder if I could actually get my four year old to eat his spinach this way? That would be so awesome!

77. Danielle says:

Mmm, so delicious! I wonder if I could actually get my four year old to eat his spinach this way? That would be awesome!

78. Pam says:

I love the combination of spinach and egg together. These seem like they would be a perfect addition to a family brunch.

79. Debi says:

This looks yummy. I love eggs and I am always looking for healthy low card recipes.

80. Nikki says:

I’ve never been a spinach person, but this actually looks pretty good! Maybe I’ll be brave and give spinach a try this way.

81. Found your recipe through The SITS Girls link up today and I’m so glad. My daughter is Type 1 diabetic so I am always looking for kid-friendly low carb recipes that she will like. This looks like a winner. Thanks for sharing.

82. Mel Cole says:

Wow! They look delicious! I love that they have spinach in it too!

83. Katherine G says:

I absolutely love spinach. I will definitely be trying this. Spinach is one of my favorite vegetables.

84. Amanda Love says:

Hubby would love this. He’s a spinach fan. Me on the other hand try and avoid it as much as I can. I’m going to have to share this recipe with him. Thanks a bunch.

85. What a great recipe. I love spinach and think this is great new way to enjoy it. Something I would def enjoy making (and eating)

86. These little “muffins” look so yummy! I bet the combination of spinach, cheese and eggs is delicious!

87. This look delish- and I need more protein in the morning!

88. These look awesome! I wonder about adding a little garlic salt to them? Either way, I’m a fan of eggs and spinach!

89. These look phenomenal! My husband and I will really enjoy these. He may actually substitute kale for the spinach!

90. Simple and yummy. I gave up meat for lent so maybe a variation for me :)

91. I love spinach and egg together! Thanks for linking up with the Tasty Tuesday’s Link-up. I have pinned your post to the Tasty’s Tuesday’s Pinterest Board!