Gender Reveal Party

What is a gender reveal party?  Well that is exactly what my husband asked back in 2010 when I told him I was throwing one.  Basically a gender reveal party is a fun way of announcing the sex of your expected baby.  I wish I could wait and be surprised about things like this BUT I absolutely hate surprises.  This girl has gotta plan!

gender reveal partySo when I was pregnant with my first child, I wanted a fun way to announce to my family and friends what our child’s gender was.  This was 3 years ago, which was before the trend of reveal parties had set in. I just did the basic pink and blue, boy or girl party ( I will go back in my photos and do a post on it soon).  But with my second child, I wanted to do something more creative.  So over the summer I had my second gender reveal party and decided to use a red and black color scheme, with Little Man or Little Lady being the overall theme.

gender reveal party food   gender reveal party decorations

I had the party after work.  I served appetizers and sweets that went with theme:  Black olives, red pepper and mozzarella skewers, salsa and blue corn chips (which look black), black grapes, raspberries, licorice, fudge cookies, red frosted cupcakes and a german chocolate cake will colored icing inside, fruit punch and soda. This cake is what we used for the reveal!

gender reveal party     gender reveal party  gender reveal party
For decorations, I made a banner with lips and mustaches, hung red and black balloons throughout.  I used red picture frames for food signs.  I cut out lips and mustaches then glued to striped straws.  These were for the guests to pick which gender they believed the baby was.  We took pics of everyone with their lips or mustaches before the big reveal.  (My co-workers just knew it was a girl. )

gender reveal party
We  wanted our two year old son to be involved in the party.  So I thought it would be fun to let him cut the cake to reveal the the baby’s gender.  He was so excited to have everyone watching him. He sat up at the table like a big boy and proudly made the cut…IT’S a GIRL!
Then he starred at the cake, almost like he was soaking it in.  He’s having a sister, hmm…

gender reveal party
Did you or anyone you know have a Gender Reveal Party?
How did you share the news of your baby’s  gender?

Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Gender Reveal Party

1. I have heard of them, but don’t know anyone that has had one. Once I knew, I told everyone because I can’t keep a secret ;)

2. Such a cute idea! Looks like such a fun party!

3. mer says:

so sweet! I love the mustaches vs. pouty lips! congrats!

4. Emily says:

I’ve only been to one gender reveal party so far – it was back when people first started doing them about 3.5 years ago – they cut the cake and the inside was dyed pink represnsenting a girl. I love how your party was black/red instead of the blue/pink!

• thehouseholdhero@gmail.com says:

Yea, my first one was about 3 years ago too. And we did the pink/blue with blue cake inside. So many unique party ideas now with these!

5. This is the first time I’ve heard of a gender reveal party. Yours looked like a lot of fun! I love the mustache and lips, and the color scheme. So creative.

6. Lisa says:

What an awesome idea! I love that you did this!

7. Anne Sweden says:

It’s fun both ways, I think! Once we did have an ultrasound to determine the gender, but all the other seven have been surprises. It gives me something to look forward to at the end of labor and something extra to tell family and friends on delivery day.

• thehouseholdhero@gmail.com says:

I so wish I could have waited to find out but the anticipation would have stressed me out more than anything. I agree it would make the delivery even extra special!

8. Jamie @Momma Without a Clue says:

What an amazing party! I never was one who could keep it a secret that long though, I was on the phone as soon as I got the ultrasound results lol

9. I love this idea! We just found out we’re expecting our third (and definitely last!) child, and I really want to do a gender reveal party. I think it would be so much fun! I love the mustaches and lips idea. :) I may have to steal it! :)

10. cococute says:

This is my first time to hear this theme of party and isn’t it so nice to attend such party ? I hope one of my friends will do this or maybe I will share this to them for an idea to come up.

11. brett says:

wow, that’s a crazy fun party idea!! love that big brother cut the cake

12. Kita says:

I have heard of this and it’s becoming really popular. I think it’s fun and it adds something to the party to have people guessing.

13. Dina says:

these are so fun. I wish they would have had them around when I was having babies. Now i want to know which gender it was??

14. Nicole Brady says:

I’ve heard a lot of people doing that but usually it is either pink or blue when you walk through the door. I love the way you’ve created two colors so the reveal happens as part of the party and not the party itself.

15. Such cute ideas! Love the mustaches & lips, and great idea for the cake!

16. Oh this is such a fun idea. I love a party get together for any reason. Thanks for sharing this idea, I wish I had known for my sister, that would have made it so much more fun while she anxiously waiting to meet her little bundle of a miracle baby joy!

17. Aww what an amazing idea!! Looks like so much fun in the photos :) Thank you for sharing!

18. Samantha says:

I love the decorations and cake! I have only been to one gender reveal party and it wasn’t near this cute

19. Krissy says:

What a cute theme for a party! I wish someone would of thought of these before I was finished having kids. But my sister does plan on having another, so I’m going to go all out with a cute gender reveal party for her!

20. Hanan says:

What a super cute theme! Love that you didn’t do a traditional blue/pink thing. We didn’t do a reveal party, but tried to announce it in a fun way.

21. What a GREAT theme for a gender reveal! My friends did balloons for their daughter and it was an awesome surprise.

22. Kristen says:

This is cute!!! I wanted to do one this time around ( I didn’t find out with my first). But I couldn’t coordinate our families to have one. I ended up sending a picture of a ” Game of Life” Car in an e-mail. You can look a the link here http://makethebestofeverything.com/2013/08/pumpkin-yogurt-parfait.html.

I don’t mean to be self promoting in the comment, but it is a little hard to explain. Your party is adorbs :)

23. gender-reveal parties, Babyshowers and halloween is typical for America I feel.

Halloween started taking off in Norway around the start of 2000, and babyshowers started sneaking in the last couple of years. I haven’t heard of any doing gender-reveal parties yet, but I’m sure they will come.

I love that these traditions is comming to Norway :)

I would never wait to find out the gender of my child, hehe, I would want to know, so I could plan right …

24. Tracey says:

That looks like so much fun!!!

25. Jennifer B says:

I love this idea! Looks like a super fun party!

26. Demetra says:

What a great party. I’ve never been to a gender reveal party bu tit looks like you all had a fun time. Such a cool idea.

27. Meagan says:

You are too cute! I wish I would have done something like this when I was pregnant with my son! Love the mustache and lip idea!

28. Rachael says:

A gender reveal party sounds like so much fun. That is such a great idea!

29. Trisha says:

What a cute theme for the gender reveal party! I love the lips and the mustaches. We never had a reveal party for my daughter but if we ever have a 2nd, I’d consider it!

30. This is such a fun idea! When I found out the sex of my daughter it was just calling everyone to tell them! LOL!

31. Marisa says:

Congrats on the baby! What a cool party, luv the idea for a surprise gender reveal party! I adore your choices in food… just reading about them is making me so hungry. Now I can’t stop thinking about German chocolate cake. :P

32. How fun!! One of my best friends just texted me and told me she found out the gender of her baby today, but only her mom knows for now and is baking them a cake to cut into this evening to find out :)

33. Pam says:

What a cute party. I like the lips and mustaches. Very creative.

34. Triplezmom says:

How adorable are these ideas! I just told everyone as soon as I found out!

35. This is such a great idea! I am not into parties, and just did it the old fashion way and told people.

36. lisa jones says:

I Never Heard Of Before Now What A Great Idea. You Did A Fabulous Job!

37. April says:

I’ve never heard of a gender reveal party but love the idea! You did a fantastic job with all the decoration and snacks.

38. How fun! Looks like you went all out! All I did was print out a black and white photo of our ultrasound and used it as the lid on a container of pink jelly beans favors. But it was fun having all my coworkers stop by to find out!

39. I did not have gender reveal parties with any of my children. I have heard a lot about them and they seem to be a fun event.

40. Chrysa says:

I have never heard of a gender reveal party before. Your decorations are so cute – I love the color scheme!

41. Mariana says:

That’s such a great idea for a party! I wish I would’ve though of something like this way back when I was pregnant with my kids. What a lovely surprise it would have been, and to celebrate it with friends and family, even better!

42. Paige says:

I want to do a gender reveal when I have a baby. It seems so much fun!

43. Aww this looks like so much fun! I’ve seen quite a few cute gender reveal parties – I wish I had one :)

44. Jenni E. says:

This is such a cool idea! My niece just had her 3rd baby and she was considering having a gender reveal party. I think it’s a super fun idea and I would have loved to have had one when I was pregnant with my son. I remember telling everyone that I needed to buy blue paint haha.

45. Aly Mashrah says:

These gender reveal parties are always so exciting! I loved your theme.

46. Michelle F. says:

That is the best theme I have ever seen for a gender reveal party.

47. Danielle says:

Your party was so gorgeously decorated, and so incredibly classy! Thank you for sharing it with us :)

48. Gender reveal parties are SOOO cool and I’ve never seen any one done the same. I’ve been to ones where they release balloons, cupcakes with the insides color, etc. etc. and yet each is unique :)

49. Rosey says:

I have heard of them. I think they’re fun. I love that your little guy got to do the big reveal. :)

50. Toni says:

What a fun idea for a gender reveal. While we are done having kids, if some miracle happened and I had another, I would totally do a gender reveal.

51. Debra says:

A friend I know just had one of these parties. She didn’t even know the gender – she arranged for the doctor to tell the baker who put in the right blue/pink filling (it was blue). I had never heard of a gender reveal party before, but it’s a fun idea!

52. Christy says:

I would love to do a reveal party! This is awesome!

53. I didn’t know about gender reveal parties when I was carrying my son. It’s such a fun idea and it’s nice you let your son cut the cake for the reveal. Congrats on having a girl.

54. Debi says:

We never did one of these. I had never heard of it before. But my niece did something similar, she took pictures with the family eating blue ice cream cones as a way of telling everyone.

55. This is great! Never been a part of this kind of party yet, it was only baby shower parties. I will surely do this whenever I get pregnant again.

56. Kecia says:

I was too excited to share to even wait for a party! I did come up with a way for our son to announce his little brother’s gender – he held a blue balloon in the picture I sent to friends and posted on FB.

57. Eliz Frank says:

What a cool party theme and such fun! I’d love to fine such creativity when I plan a party.

58. Ashley M says:

What a fun way to announce the babies gender! Such a cute party and it looks like everyone had fun.

59. Awww I love how your son did the reveal. What a sweet moment. I love it!

60. Janel says:

I love the grown up theme. Red and black looks great! So much better than pale pink and blue.

61. Lexie Lane says:

This is so much fun! An addition to baby showers! I have never heard of this and am glad I did now! Very cool!

62. This is such an awesome idea! Great to have the soon to be sibling cut the cake and reveal!

63. I remember reading about one of these parties last year, such a cool idea. Thanks for sharing and linking up with us at the #WWDParty!