Whole Wheat Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

If I could have any dessert it would be a cookie; well a handful of cookies! I think my love for cookies has been passed down to my son because he asked for cookies the other day in the middle of me reading his bedtime story.  So I promised him that we would make some cookies the next day. I try to eat whole grains whenever possible, so I wanted to see how a whole wheat cookie would turn out.  I am happy to announce that these turned out better than I imagined.  And they were so soft & chewy!

whole wheat chocolate chip cookies

What I used:

• 1 stick of unsalted butter, soft, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup  Truvia baking blend sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1  1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips

What I did:

1. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
  2. Beat butter and sugars together in the bowl of a stand mixer until well blended.  Add egg , beating well into sugar / butter mixture. Beat in vanilla.
  3. Mix in the flour and beat on low speed until everything is evenly combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Roll golf ball sized bowls out of the dough and place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8-9 minutes until just golden.
Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to Whole Wheat Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

1. andi says:

now i’m really hungry- they look SO good!! 😀

2. Maria says:

I love that these are whole wheat! I feel better about eating these over Girl Scout cookies! lol

3. Liz Mays says:

They’re such plump and delightful looking cookies. And they’re soft too? Oh I can’t wait to try one!

4. I love the healthy twist on a sweet snack. I can not wait to try these. I always have either soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies or hard as a rock – these are for some reason my biggest issue cookies!

5. These cookies look so yummy! I know what recipe I’ll be trying this weekend <3

6. Melissa says:

I never thought of making whole wheat! It’s all my kids usually eat so I will have to try this.

7. Shell says:

These look so good! Thanks for the chocolate chip cookie recipe!

8. I love that they are whole wheat. I’m looking for more whole wheat recipes, thanks.

9. Jessica says:

Such fat cookies. My kids would be amazed.

• thehouseholdhero@gmail.com says:

I made them really thick because I like to have almost a dough center. But they could be pressed out more to not be so thick!

10. Now this is so yummy!! I’d love to try!

11. brett says:

oh, I like the whole wheat idea. these look so good!!

12. aimee fauci says:

My daughter is so picky w her cookies… I have baked them and bought them but she insists on Chips Ahoy.. I’m afraid if I made these… This mama bear would eat them all!

13. Erinn S says:

I have been using the more natural sugars as well. Great recipe!

14. Krissy says:

Those look delicious, and I love that you used whole wheat! I will have to pass this recipe on to my sister, she is always looking for new healthier ways to make our favorite desserts.

15. I honestly don’t think I have ever had a whole wheat cookie before, but I think they sound pretty darn awesome!!

16. Karen says:

These look really delicious! I’ve never made cookies with whole wheat flour before so I’ll have to try this one out.

17. Tracey says:

Those look so good and never thought to make whole wheat cookies!

18. That’s a super tall cookie! I often miss the white sugar taste and chew that whole wheat cookies don’t offer.

• thehouseholdhero@gmail.com says:

I used to miss the taste of some foods but now when I taste a regular cookie or some other dessert it doesn’t taste good to me anymore. I guess my tastebuds have adjusted and changed

19. Jenni E. says:

I’ve never ever tried a whole wheat cookie before. These look pretty darn good!

20. Krystal says:

Those are massive cookies! They look awesome.

21. Michelle F. says:

Those look really good. I have never had whole wheat cookies before.

22. There is nothing like a nice warm, soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie. The fact that you made them with whole wheat makes them even better for me. I am booking marking your page for later this week when I get a sweet tooth.

23. becca says:

Yummy and whole wheat this is a definite recipe winner for me.

24. Chelsea says:

Soft cookies are my FAVE. Especially chocolate chip. Yummmm!

25. Kim says:

It would be interesting to try a whole wheat cookie.

26. Your cookies picture looks like they are right out of the package. I can’t believe you made homemade cookies look that great. Thanks for the recipie

• thehouseholdhero@gmail.com says:

Thanks, these actually taste as good as they look which is not always the case from my kitchen!

27. Pam says:

These look good! Love that they are made with whole wheat.

28. Tiffany Cruz says:

Thanks for this recipe. I love my cookies chewy. Yum!

29. These cookies look delicious. I love the fact that they are soft and chewy and come in two varieties.

30. veronica says:

Chewy cookies are the best! Thanks for sharing and including the recipe as well

31. Rachael says:

These cookies look tasty. But I’d have to find a good GF flour substitute to make them.

32. gingermommy says:

These look so good. I love thick and chewy cookies. Nice they are whole wheat too (Kim)

33. Toni says:

I love chocolate chip cookies. I will have to try them with whole wheat.

34. Jaime says:

These look really good. I’ve never considered making my cookies in a whole wheat version.

35. Yum! I don’t have allergies, but I’m always looking for whole wheat and gluten-free recipes. I will have to try these.

36. Chrysa says:

These look delicious! I like cookie recipes that use whole wheat flour.

37. We love chocolate chip cookies in our house. I don’t think I have ever tasted whole wheat chocolate chip cookies before though.

38. Sarah Bailey says:

Mmm they sound so good, and I have to admit I do love a soft chewy cookie! x

39. Healthy chocolate chip cookies. Fabulous! I’ll take any excuse to ingest some chocolate :)

40. Felicia says:

I need to go pin these! They look delicious!

41. Kecia says:

Soft and chewy are how I prefer my chocolate chip cookies. These look so good!

42. Amber Nelson says:

That looks really good! I would love to try these.

43. Pam says:

Whole wheat flour and truvia. These sound pretty healthy. The picture is wonderful and really lets you know how great they must taste.

44. Janel says:

The chewier the cookie the better, if you ask me. These look delicious!

45. Annemarie says:

These sound yummy I love whole wheat products. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

46. My heart just leaps for joy when I find healthy recipes. I know how sweets can be harmful to our body if we had much of it. I love the idea that you use whole wheat to make this a hearty and healthy snack. :)

47. Zoe B says:

I love chewy cookies the most! They are so delicious :) Thanks for sharing.

48. April says:

I love chocolate chip cookies! I’ve wondered how they would taste with whole wheat flour but haven’t experimented with it yet.

49. Stefani says:

I love your idea of using whole wheat. I have used wheat flour to make other things but not cookies. I might just have to try your recipe. :)

50. Gurvy Green says:

Love the idea of wheat flour, I can’t wait to try these. Thanks for sharing. Pinned!

51. Jessica says:

I LOVE my cookies chewy! These look so good and plump. My cookies never come out looking like this.

52. Ashley M says:

Chocolate chip cookies are best when they’re chewie – and fresh out of the oven!

53. Those are some thick cookies! They look delicious though :)

54. Rosey says:

Whole wheat cookies? Hurrah! And I like that they’re nice and fat!

55. Lisa says:

Those look absolutely delish! I happen to have whole wheat flour in the fridge that I wasn’t sure what do with so this is perfect!

56. Triplezmom says:

It’s so great that these are whole wheat. They look very tasty!

57. I am so going to try these. I have been looking for a recipe for whole wheat cookies and donuts since we visited a whole wheat only bakery in Aguascalientes, AGS, Mexico ten years ago. I had no idea how delicious whole wheat confections could be. Whole wheat breat is all we eat in this house – for those of us not gluten intolerant – so it’s nice to find a recipe that looks like it will come out fluffy and not rock hard.

58. Christina S says:

I love the whole wheat idea. They do look super soft too!

59. Dina says:

these look so tasty! bookmarking for later!

60. Annie says:

Those look so good right now, yum! They look super soft & fluffy, too :)

61. Tiffany says:

These look so good! I pinned them to my food board!

62. Eliz Frank says:

Come to think of it, I haven’t had that at all… I would love to try them and I bet they are tasty.

63. Mmm, they look delicious!! :)

64. I love chewy cookies!!! This recipe looks fantastic.

65. I love soft and chewy cookies! Give me a glass of cold milk and I’m set!

66. Yum. I love cookies and any way to make them a bit healthier.

67. Rachee says:

What a yummy recipe! I love chocolate chips and the whole wheat would make me feel less guilty when I ate all the cookies.

68. I love soft and chewy cookies. So yummy!

69. Le-an Lacaba says:

I’m more of a soft and chewy cookie fan myself, as opposed to the crispy ones. They make me feel fuller :)

70. Tamara says:

The cookies look delish. I am pinning this recipe.
    thanks for dropping by the Bloggers Brags Weekly Pinterest Party

71. I’ll have to try these! Thanks for linking up with the Tasty Tuesday’s Link-up. I have pinned your post to the Tasty’s Tuesday’s Pinterest Board!